Friday, October 26, 2007

Dazed and confused

O.K...................
I've already dated myself with the title of this BLOG!? My 17 year old daughter will be amazed that her gadget-free mother is participating in this program. She is always disgusted when I ask for computer help. She has been using computers and all those electronic gadgets for her entire existence whereas I have been trying to avoid them.
A young and talented co-worker talked me into doing this so we will see if this old dog can learn some new tricks!
My first job was at the Poulsbo library back in my high school days. This was prior to computers and the typewriter was one of my tools. I typed thousands of overdue letters by the time I left the library to see the world. So things have changed and so must I.
Libraries are wonderful places and could never be replaced. Books are like the air I breathe and a basic staple in my life. What excitement when a favorite author releases a new book.
With all the information available online, I still feel libraries are a very valuable resource to our communities. I would much rather talk to a person face to face then instant message or email. I know that self checkout might please some but there will hopefully always be people like me that want to interact with a human being not a machine.

5 comments:

westie_servant said...

Wow, you're so articulate!!!
But if you're an old dog what does that make me???
Your Whiny, bossy co-worker.

krl2pt0 said...

i think i probably run with the old dogs these days too....a few new tricks every now and then keeps everyone around us on their toes.

Bob C.

Blue said...

Here's another old dog joining the pack! I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like a dinosaur--I've read several comments about wanting to be able to show a teenager a thing or two. I'm in. I knew it was bad when I had to call my daughter at college to ask how to turn on the TV! (I am relieved to report that the problem was with the TV and not me!)

westie_servant said...

Typewriter, man that made me chuckle. Chik you really are dating yourself there!!
Check out a comment I got from a fellow corgi freak:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8560091593064698064&postID=8125999852289696131
The pic is too cute.
Janet

observes&musings said...

Talk about old - I remember when library cards had a little metal attachment with your number on it, Overdue books were ten cents and Ssshh! was the command!